Friday, August 29, 2008

Week One

Well, one week down and we all survived!
Actually, I can't believe it's already Friday. This week has flown by pretty fast.

The kids like school, for the most part.
Kelsey is still getting used to all of her classes and getting up at the crack of dawn to catch the bus. And Zack had early day the first 3 days of school, so the past two have been a little rough. But all in all, they are adjusting well and making lots of new friends.


I've been asked by numerous people how our talks went on Sunday.
Humpf. Does that sum it up?! Ha.
OKay really, it was quite funny actually. They had two quick speakers before me. One was a return missionary that was explaining that he was only back for a while, I guess he was only 8 months into his mission-not quite sure what happened I was too busy shaking uncontrolably to listen, and the second was a youth recapping about the youth conference from the day before. Then it was my turn. The dreaded moment had come! I stood up somehow, but barely, and started speaking. I could hear my voice so loud it was scary. I was shaking so bad I thought for sure I was going to fall on my face. I moved the microphone out of the way (I truely hoped by doing so nobody would be able to hear me)and continued on introducing my family. I had it all written down on paper, just incase. But for some reason, I decided to add something. Well, because of this, I lost my place on my paper! I didn't want to just stand there looking for my place, so I turned the paper over, where I new I had a whole new paragraph (it was also the end!) and I just finished from there. It was actually a good move for me because it was only about 10 seconds long and I was done! The funny part was that the Relief Society was scheduled to sing after my talk, but they weren't expecting my talk to be over in less then 30 seconds, so it took them a minute to get situated. Once they were finished it was Mike's turn. He did a wonderful job, even got teary eyed, which of course set me off! Oh, I should mention, as he was speaking, I went down and sat by Zack. Zack had been sitting alone since Kelsey left him to sit with her friend in the back. Lucky her. Anyway, as I said, his talk was wonderful. But it was short too. Not 30 seconds short, but about 10 minutes short, which left about a half an hour of no talks! Whoops! Thankfully we have a very prepared Bishop and the Stake President was there as well, and they were able to fill the time up nicely. In our old ward we would have been heros. Sacrament was last and if the talks fell short we just went home early. Not the case here. Sacrament is first. Tough luck. anyway, I am SOOOOO glad that horrifying experience is over and I can almost guarantee we will never be asked to speak in sacrament again!
I guess since I am already speaking on church related topics I can tell you that Mike and I were called this week to be Primary Workers. Until they know what class we will be teaching, they will call us workers. We are very excited and know that this is a good place for us. I'm just glad we get to do it together!

No comments: