Sunday, March 15, 2009

To grandmother's house we go.....






Ever since I was a little girl, one of my favorite places to go is to my grandma's house.
She lives in Holladay in a home that my great-grandfather built. It is a small home filled with love and memories.
My great-grandfather built it, and my grandparents lived on the back of the property until they later inherited it. Way back in the day, they had an outdoor kitchen. It has definitely seen better days,and although I can't recall it ever being used in my lifetime, I have many fun memories of baking mud pies in it!

One of my greatest memories is playing secretary in my grandpa's garage. The garage is great. It looks like a barn from the outsde, but inside it's greasey and obviously a mechanics workshop. I love the way it smells. Grandpa had a little desk-like area that I would sit at and I would pretend to take calls and messages for him. He use a distributer cap for a pencil holder and always thought that was so clever!

I always loved spring time at grandma's. We always had a fun Easter egg hunt in the front yard. All the cousins would come and we would have the best time.

I'm so glad I got to visit my grandma today. I miss her and the fun times we had growing up.
I can't wait to move back so I can see her more.

2 comments:

Roman-Krauth Family said...

Your so lucky you get to see her house and her in it still. My grandparents on both sides had the most beautiful houses that are no longer in our family. Hopefully her house will stay in your family!!

Unknown said...

Love this post Mandi! The yard looks so good. I remember us all sitting at the picnic table in the summer time chatting and laughing and then in the garage by the fire in the winter while our dad's and Uncle Red, Dave and Grandpa stood around the open hood of a car. Great memories...miss you all so much!