Saturday, March 14, 2009

How I would change the world

I have to say that I haven't been the most positive about my job over the months. I have come to realize over the past few weeks, that I actually really like my job though. I work with some amazing kids.
For those of you who don't know, I work at an alternative high school. Now, my first thought was that I would be working with a bunch a misfit, naughty kids who just don't care. Ah, was I mistaken! (Thankfully!)
Now don't get me wrong, some of these kids really are naughty, but for the most part, they are all great kids.

I have a handful or so that I really enjoy seeing each day. They actually brighten my day! One in particular, I will call NP.
NP is a large guy, about 6'1-6'2ish and very broad. Not fat, just a big guy. He has tattoo's galore and huge gaged ears. First glance, you are taken back a bit, but once you get to know him you find that he has a heart of gold and despite his appearance, he is a softy! And really, he likes to be nice!

This week we have been writing essays about "How I would change the world." Now considering the economy, I really figured that most kids would write about jobs or money or something, but boy was I surprised. I had one kid write about how she would make it so you couldn't build anymore new homes. That we should have to fix up all the old homes and neighborhoods to make them nice and safe. And that by not building new homes it would save farm land which in turn would mean fresh produce for all. Hum....I like this!
Another wrote about stopping child abuse, one about homelessness and poverty, and so on. WOW! Great kids!
NP wrote something that surprised me too. He reads the Bible a lot and really has a strong belief in the Lord. His essay was about adding a Spritual class to the day. He thought that if everyone would just take an hour each day to read the Bible, the world would be a better place. His thought was that, while he is not L.D.S., he like the idea of seminary. Why shouldn't all religions have a class? He also feels strongly that Prayer should be a part of school.
I wish I had a better memory so I could quote from his essay. He really had some great points to share. They all did really. I honestly have to say that some of these kids are going to make a difference in the world somehow or other. And I am really grateful for the opportunity I have to work with these kids each day.

On a side note, the song that should be playing now, is called Chicken Fried from the Zac Brown Band. NP was listening to it in class one day and I over heard it and loved it! That's another funny thing about him, he looks all tough and rough, but he's a cowboy at heart and let's everyone know!

1 comment:

Gina said...

Isnt it so true that you can't judge a book by its cover! That happens to me at work... I take a look at a person and assume just by their appearance how their credit will be... I get suprised ALOT!!!